Sunday, August 8, 2010

Easy Lemon Cookies (Gluten Free of course)

Do you ever get a craving for something? This week I've had a craving for lemon cookies....and Food Fantasies doesn't carry my favorite kind anymore. So I did what I always do, searched the internet for a recipe. I couldn't find anything super easy that was gluten free so I took a "regular" recipe and modified it. I found a recipe on the Betty Crocker site. Here is what I came up with...

1 box Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix
1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 egg
1 Tbsp lemon extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Beat all the ingredients in a bowl for about 2 minutes.
Scoop tablespoon fulls onto cookie sheets. Flatten slightly.
Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown around the edges. Let cool on the cookie sheet for at least 2 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.

These are great as is, but I made a glaze to put on them to kick up the lemon flavor just a little.

2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon rind

Whisk all ingredients together until well combined. Brush on cookies after they have cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment